Earlier in the year OtherLevels conducted a study of the Top 100 Internet retailers to determine overall mobile messaging adoption in this important marketing sector. We downloaded their apps, observed their messaging and marketing-related behaviors, and released our widely-cited Retail Mobile Messaging Study (click to download). The findings were remarkable:
- 77% of the Top 100 Internet retailers have a mobile app
- Among those apps, only 66% of those were actually sending push messages
- Less than 20% leverage a social sign-on for their apps
- Only 30% request access to a device’s GPS location
- Only 4 of the top 100 Brands leverage a rich inbox (like an email inbox for your app)
Curious about your competitors’ mobile engagement, retention and monetization messaging? OtherLevels can conduct a full audit of your app compared to similar apps in your competitive landscape. Our audit begins by downloading each app on two devices, and we will monitor and capture messages sent to each of them, recording the text, day, and time of day over a 30-day period. We will interact once with both devices at the beginning of the audit, but we will stop interacting with one device while regularly interacting and responding to push notifications with the other. The goal will be to determine if the type and frequency of messaging is adjusted based on our activity. At the end of a month, we will report:
- Which apps prompt for push notifications and geolocation vs. which ones are actually pushing.
- Which apps appear to use local notifications in place of push notifications to the extent we can tell.
- Which publisher sends general, repetitive messages, vs. messages based on actions and usage.
- Is there an apparent set of messages aimed at new users for retention purposes?
We will also perform a technical audit which will make informed decisions on what makes your competitors’ apps tick, as well as a view of how your competitors’ apps are presented in the marketplace. To find out more, email email@example.com